The New Jersey Division of Disability Services provided a two-day training by the National Center for Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD) to lay the foundation for providing access and inclusion in your communities. The virtual training covered disability education, identifying barriers, assessment, implementation, and more.
The two-day training, presented in two sessions of two-hours each was conducted by Kelly Bonner, Associate Director NCHPAD, and Chris Mackey, Senior Project Coordinator NCHPAD, each of whom brings 20+ years of experience in the field working with people with disabilities across their lifespan and throughout different sectors.
Each day of the training covered different topics so viewing both videos is highly recommended.
- Introduction – Representatives from New Jersey provided an introduction about why this training was conducted, its importance, and a vision for where it could lead.
- Disability Education – A call to action to create communities, organizations, and programs where people of all abilities feel welcomed. Learn how to address the barriers they face when it comes to their communities.
- Community Action Plan Work session – Collectively work on addressing barriers in your community.
- What is Inclusion? – Define what inclusion means to your organization and community as a whole. Use the Commit to Inclusion Guidelines to discuss barriers, partnerships, the GRAIDs, and more.
- NCHPAD – Familiarize with the National Center for Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD) and available resources.
- Assessment Needs and Resources – Use the data to make informed decisions. Identify sources of public health data about people with disabilities and use assessment tools to recognize barriers.
- Evaluation – Review evaluation tools and processes to implement as you address access and inclusion in your community.
- Inclusion Solutions – Inclusion solution worksheets on sustaining your focus on inclusion.
- Action Plan – The Action Plan will help you prioritize changes needed to increase accessibility and inclusion of people with disabilities. Organize those changes into short-term, intermediate, long-term and on-going goals and identify needed resources and personnel.
- Closing Remarks / Q&A
(click on below links to access materials)
Day 1 training video with transcription ~ requires Passcode: NCHPAD9/28
Day 2 training video with transcription ~ requires Passcode: NCHPAD9/30
Click here to access NCHPAD’s e-learning website for additional resources described in the training or to view indexed sections of the training videos by topic. The materials relevant to this training can be found under the “Partnerships” link, and then by clicking on “New Jersey Division of Disability Services” near the bottom of the Partners’ page. Please note: the NCHPAD e-learning website requires you to provide your name and email to log in; the site provides access to significant additional resources to help you build inclusive healthy communities.
Email email@example.com with any questions.